Recipe for Lemon Poppy-seed Cupcakes
1. Preheat your lovely little oven to 350 degrees F. Line about 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Whisk together in a medium bowl:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
Beat until fluffy. About 3 minutes or so.
3 large eggs
One at a time, beating well after each addition.
1/2 cup, minus 1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
6. With mixer on low, add flour and milk mixture alternately in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Stir in:
The zest of one lemon.
7. Spoon the batter into a Ziploc bag, and seal tightly. Snip off about a fourth inch or so from one corner of the bag. Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nice and clean. Remove the cupcakes form the pan, and place on a wire rack. Allow them too cool completely before frosting!
***This recipe is my variation of the lemon poppy-seed cupcake recipe found in the "Hello, Cupcake!" book by: Karen Tack & Alan Richardson.
These cupcakes are heavenly when topped with a cream cheese frosting! :)
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
Beat until smooth.
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix till combined.
Frost your lovely cupcakes.
***This frosting is not the thickest stuff in the world, so you may find you'll need to add some more powdered sugar.
Aren't these lovable!
I wouldn't recommend using the cream cheese frosting for the petals though. You'll need a frosting with a thicker consistency so you don't end up with a droopy sunflower!!