Friday, April 1, 2011

Shabby Denim Vest

Here's what's been keeping me somewhat busy....


This is my newly refashioned Shabby Denim Vest.  I LOVE it!!!  It turned out so neat! 
  I started out with  this denim jacket that I used to wear a lot until the sleeves shrunk (not quite sure how).  I love anything denim, so I definitely didn't want to just throw it out.  Heaven forbid, I throw out anything that is even remotely usable!!!  :)


Here's how the transformation happened.
First, I laid it out on my cutting board, and drew a straight line, just above the bottom pockets, with a piece of chalk.
Once I got that cut off, I cut off the sleeves, leaving about a half to a fourth of an inch there on the vest, which will soon be frayed to get that shabby look.  Then, I cut off the buttons and the button holes up to the collar.  It took me a while to decide if I wanted the collar or if I should chop that off too.
Then, I needed to make it fit a little better, so I turned it inside out, and marked and inch from the side seam on the bottom of the vest.  Then I took a ruler, and chalked a line from that mark to the corner (armpit) of the vest. 
Then I sewed the line, and did the same thing on the other side.   I tried it on....just a little baggy yet.  Once more, and it fit pretty well.  (I think I took 2 to 3 inches off each side.)   As for the inside edges, I simply trimmed the seams that I had sewn to about a half inch, and left them.
Now for the shabby fringe effect.  I sewed a straight stitch about a half inch or so in from the raw edges, excluding the half inch of each sleeve, because there was already a seam there.  Then I took a scissors and snipped up to the straight stitch every fourth to eighth of an inch on all the edges.
Here's what it looked like after all that snippin'.


Lastly, to perfect the magic shabby look, I threw it in the washer, then in the dryer.  I had to clean out the lint tray a few times.  Small sacrifice for the outcome, I say. 

What do you say?     :)
If you have any questions, comments, or remarks, feel free to email me at:
Thank you so much for stopping by my little space in this massive blog world!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I ADORE your vest - so very me!

    Luv, luv, luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so stinkin' cute! I love it! My SIL would have a fit for one of those. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so cute! I love it with the white blouse. Thanks for your sweet comments about my dresses, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, very hip! What did you do with the rest of the denim?
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! I do that ragging technique for quilts and handbags. Never thought of doing it on clothing. It turned out great!

    Thanks so much for linking up to the Prairie Patch link party!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love it with the sequin shirt! Great tutorial too! Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at DotDOtDot! Hope to see you tomorrow! have a happy Monday!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by!!! I love each and every comment you wonderful readers leave!!!
-p.s.- feel free to follow :)