Wednesday, March 9, 2011

simple sweater up-do

Like most people, I've had a few sweaters sitting in the bottom of my drawer that I might have worn all of about twice in my life!  So, I picked out this one to chop up...  ;)



I think it fits the chair better than it does me!  Not for long though!  Here's a sneak peak at what a pair of scissors and some thread can do for something like this.


Nice, isn't it?   The dummy it's being worn by is actually made with an old shirt newspaper, and duct tape.  (If you want more information on that, let me know.)
Here's the "how to" for this simple sweater re-do...
First off, you'll want to fold your sweater in half, match up the edges and pin them, as shown...




 

You do that so when you cut it both sides will be even....always a good thing!   (I pinned up the center of the back to, just so I'd know exactly where it was.)
Then cut 'til your heat's content!   Mine ended up looking like this, when I laid down my scissors.

 I also took about 6 inches off of each sleeve.


**You'll want to save these sleeve ends for another fun project, which I will be posting soon.**
Save what you cut off of the sweater to make a collar.  Now you'll want to sew all the raw edges with a zig-zag stitch at the very edge.  + Thank you for this tip  Jill, from Made it on Monday."  Sewing them like that will give you this awesome rufflish edge that won't fray!!!

 Now that you've got that done, trim up your collar and pin it on. I sewed mine with the wrong side of the sweater to the right side of the collar.(wrong sides are both showing in the below picture), so I could then flip the collar over and have the right side up.  Here's what I did...


You'll also notice from the picture, near the center at the bottom, I still have a pin in the center of the back, so I always know were it is to line things up.  Lastly, I added two tucks on either side of the center in the back.  They look like this

You can add any embellishments you feel would spice up your creation.  I thought it over, and decided to keep this one simple.
 




That wraps up my first refashioned sweater!!!  Hope there will be many more in my future and yours!!!

8 comments:

  1. Well done! That turned out really cute, and I'm so glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's quite a transformation! It definitely went from boring to fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an adorable transformation!!! You did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rita, thanks for passing by my blog... I just did Yoga X today for my 90 day challenge... It's 90 minutes long and I do it every 4th day. Love yoga too:) btw: love this sweater! Gonna have to do this, I have 2 cardigans that I rarely use. btw: I followed back! ttyl.

    -Reyna
    @glamour glory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! What a cute sweater, I have a few I would love to do like this. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita! Thanks for visiting my blog. This is an amazing makeover! I really enjoy seeing such creative posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I just did a sweater refashion too, stop by and check it out domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your sweater on my blog today! http://madeitonmonday.blogspot.com/2011/03/feeling-little-inspired.html
    Feel free to grab a feature button if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by!!! I love each and every comment you wonderful readers leave!!!
-p.s.- feel free to follow :)